FAQ's: Houses in Multiple Occupation

• I live in an HMO, what should I do now? If you suspect that you live in an HMO you should ask the owner if they have a licence, if so, then this should be on display in a prominent place. If the owner does not have a licence then yo…
  • I own an HMO, what should I do now? You should contact Inverclyde Council’s Legal Services based within the Municipal Buildings, Clyde Square, Greenock on 01475 717171 to request an application form. Upon receipt of your c…
  • Tell me more about the Physical Standards. The physical standards are assessed by The Council’s Safer & Inclusive Communities and Building Control to ensure that the tenants of an HMO have adequate sanitary fac…
  • What about Tenancy Standards? The tenancy management standards are assessed by Inverclyde Council’s Safer & Inclusive Communities, these standards make sure that the owner of an HMO treats their tenants fairly an…
  • What is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)? An HMO is shared accommodation including flats, bedsits, lodgings, bed and breakfast and other communal accommodation such as student residences and hostels occupied by several people who shar…
  • What Kind of Standards are Required? There are two types of standards, physical standards and tenancy standards. The physical standards relate to the building itself and the facilities that are available for the residents. The te…
  • Why do HMOs need to be licensed? The main reason for licensing HMOs is to ensure that tenants in these types of premises have accommodation that is safe, of good quality and meets certain standards.