FAQ's: Elections

• How can I get my name added to the Electoral Register? You can register online by following the "Register to Vote Online" link shown on the external links section of this page. Alternatively contact the Local Electoral Registr…
  • How can I obtain a postal vote? You can download an application form by clicking on the link in the external links section of this page, and for completion and return to the Local Electoral Registration Office on the contact…
  • How can I qualify for a postal/absent vote? You no longer need to have a reason to obtain a postal vote and you can register to vote by post at any time, there is no need to wait for an election to be called. Click on the link below&n…
  • How do I check that I am registered to vote? You should telephone the Electoral Registration Office on 0300 3000150.
  • How do I vote? You can cast your vote in a number of ways: At Your Polling Station Shortly before polling day you will receive a Poll Card which will contain your own unique electoral register reference nu…
  • If I lose my poll card, can I still vote? Yes, you will still be able to vote if you have lost your polling card. Showing your poll card at the Polling Station does, however, help the staff on duty find your entry on the Electoral Reg…
  • What age do I have to be to register to vote? This varies depending on the election. For most, you must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the poll to be allowed to vote, however in some instances you will be able to vote…
  • Who can vote in an election? In order to vote at elections you must: be on the Register of Electors be aged 18 or over on polling day be a British or commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland who …
  • Who is eligible to be registered to vote? British citizens, Commonwealth citizens and citizens of the Republic of Ireland are entitled to register to vote. Citizens of Member States of the European Community are entitled to register a…