Registering a Birth
Inverclyde Registration Office is run on an appointment system, please call to arrange an appointment before visiting the office
When should a birth be registered?
You must register a birth within 21 days (Please contact the Registrar if you are unable to comply with this requirement)
Who may register a birth?
- If you are married to the father of the baby you or your husband can register the birth.
- If you are not married and you want the father to be named on the certificate, you and the father can register the birth together.
- You can have the father named on the certificate if the child’s father provides and signs a legal declaration acknowledging he is the father, before a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public who must also sign the declaration.
- The father can register the birth and have you named on the birth certificate if you provide and sign a legal declaration naming the child’s father, before a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public who must also sign the declaration.
Declaration Forms are available from any registration office. Also, the registrar will give you advice on how to contact a Justice of the Peace, Local Councillor or Notary Public.
Where should a birth be registered ?
A birth may be registered at any registration office in Scotland, providing the birth occurred in Scotland.
What details are needed?
- A notification card which will be issued from the hospital detailing the date, place and time the child was born
- Full name of the child
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Mother's full name, maiden name (if applicable), date of birth and job title
- Father's full name, date of birth and job title
What documents do I receive?
- An Abbreviated Birth Certificate (Free of charge)
- A full extract – this is optional and you will be required to pay the appropriate fee at time of registration.
- A form EC58 which will allow you to register your child as a patient at your doctor's practice.
For further information, please contact the Registration Service (refer to Contacts section of the page).
Office Opening Hours
Monday - Thursday 08:45 - 16:30
Friday 08:45 - 15:45
Page last updated: 25 May 2015