Recording Change of Forename or Surname
All applications for Change of Name should be made to:
General Register Office
Change of Name Unit
New Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YT
Application forms are available from any Registration Office.
Who can have a change of Forename(s) or Surname(s) recorded?
Any person whose birth is registered in Scotland or who was legally adopted in Scotland can apply to have a change of forename(s) or surname(s) recorded.
Any application for a change to be recorded in respect of a child under 16 years of age must be made by a qualified applicant (parent/guardian).
After reaching 16 years of age a person may apply at any time for a change of forename(s) or surname(s) to be recorded.
Please note that any birth certificate issued subsequent to the recording of the change will show the new forename(s) and surname(s) with the original forename(s) and surname(s) shown separately.
Current fee for the recording of a change of name - £40.00*
Extract of birth entry - £15.00
Abbreviated extract of birth entry - £15.00
Two extracts for the same person (two including parentage shown or one with parentage and one without (abbreviated) ordered at the same time) - £25.00
* If there are two or more children from the same family applying to record a change of name at the same time, each subsequent application fee will be £10.00.
The most common causes of delays in processing applications are:
- The absence of the signatures of both parents where the parents of the child were married at the time of the child's conception
- The absence of Form PRF where the parents never married and the mother has sole parental responsibilities
- The form is not signed and/or dated
- Insufficient fees enclosed with application
Form 21 - child under 12 months of age
Form 23 - child under 16 years of age
Form 24 - person over 16 years of age
For further information, please contact the Registration Service (refer to Contacts section of the page).
Office Opening Hours
Monday - Thursday 08:45 - 16:30
Friday 08:45 - 15:45
Page last updated: 25 May 2015