The street cleaning programme is carried out both mechanically and manually with the frequency varying dependent on the type and usage of land, as defined in the Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse Issued Under Section 89 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Should you wish to enquire or report any issues regarding the following services please contact our Customer Service Centre.
- All major shopping areas will be cleared of litter on a daily basis and throughout the day.
- Other shopping areas and hot spots i.e. school runs, esplanades, fast food outlets as necessary, cleared of litter on a daily basis – at least once per day
- All public streets and other public areas not mentioned above will be cleaned at least once per month
- Any area reported to have excessive littering, will be responded to within 24 hours
- Litterbins within major shopping areas will be emptied several times daily
- Litterbins in less busy areas will be emptied at least once a week
- Damaged bins will be removed within 24 hours of being reported
- Needles/syringes will be removed from all public spaces i.e. streets, parks, open spaces etc. as soon as possible – usually within 2 hours of being reported to us
- Dead animals reported on public streets/verges will be uplifted within 2 hours
- Carcasses washed up on beaches will be uplifted as soon as possible
Leaf/Blossom Fall (Seasonal)
- Leaf clearing programme
Winter Maintenance (Seasonal)
- Programmed footway snow clearance and gritting
We can provide support with community clean ups
- litter pickers (on a loan basis)
For more information visit the Keep Scotland Beautiful or Clean up Scotland websites using the links in the External Links section of this page.
Page last updated: 23 February 2017