Antisocial behaviour

What is antisocial behaviour and how we can help

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour means different things to different people.  The term 'antisocial behaviour' covers any kind of nuisance, unreasonable behaviour or harassment. It can also include more serious criminal behaviour or activity.

The Antisocial Behaviour Etc (Scotland) Act 2004 provides the legal definition of antisocial behaviour as:-

"A person engages in antisocial behaviour if they act in a manner that causes or is likely to cause alarm and distress or pursues a course of conduct which causes or is likely to cause alarm and distress to at least one person who is not of the same household. (Course of conduct must involve conduct on at least two occasions)."

Examples of antisocial behaviour may include:

  • disorderly behaviour
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • setting fires
  • abusive behaviour
  • drugs misuse and dealing
  • violence or threats of violence
  • consuming alcohol in public places
It should be noted that many of the above are crimes and incidents of violence, suspected drug dealing, racial harassment etc should always be reported to the Police in the first instance on 999 or 101 for non-emergencies.  
In the case of a fire emergency the fire service should be your first point of contact on 999.

What is not antisocial behaviour?

It can be difficult to determine exactly what constitutes antisocial behaviour and although there are some types of behaviour which people can find annoying they are not classed as antisocial and may not be investigated by our team:

  • Children playing in the street or communal areas - unless they are causing damage to the property
  • Young people gathering socially - unless they are being disruptive, intimidating individuals, etc.
  • Being unable to park outside your own home

What should I do if I have an antisocial neighbour?

If you are having problems with your neighbour, you should try to talk to them about it. They may not be aware their behaviour is upsetting you.

If you do not believe that you can speak to your neighbour you may wish to contact your housing provider (if relevant), the Police or the Problem Solving Unit at Inverclyde Council.  Where possible, try and report any incidents as an when they are happening.

You should consider keeping a diary of events noting the time and date of incidents, and the dates and times if you contact any services.

What is an antisocial behaviour order?

An Antisocial Behaviour Order (ASBO) is a court order which prevents an individual from engaging in specified acts of antisocial behaviour.

An ASBO is considered by a Sheriff on application by a Local Authority or a Registered Social Landlord (Housing Association).  Witnesses and victims may have to give evidence in court.

Reporting antisocial behaviour

If you feel that you are experiencing antisocial behaviour and would like to report it, you can report it online from the link on this page or contact the Problem Solving Unit on the 0800 number provided.

Further information on the antisocial behaviour services provided by Inverclyde Council can be found on the links below.

Page last updated: 27 July 2017